Thursday, February 24, 2011

The wine in Spain falls mainly in my glass (2 of 2)

While strolling around the local wine store I found a wine from Montsant, Spain. Montsant is located directly next to Priorat, a favorite region of mine. Both regions are known for very old vines that produce great wines. The difference is that Priorat has been “discovered”.  This wine was a blend of 85% Garnacha (aka Grenache) and 15% Syrah.  The vines are over 80 years old and the fact that it was unfined and unfiltered was completely intriguing. At only $11.99, this was a no brainer wine for my blog.

2007 Capcanes Mas Doris Barrica from Montsant, Spain

Capcanes is the vintner, Mas Doris Barrica is the wine’s name. Initially I noticed cinnamon, white pepper, and smoke. I picked up a little bit of a green quality and some bacon fat. Bacon fat might sound like a bad thing, but in this sense it was a good thing, a really good thing. The fruit was dark and very concentrated. It had both French and American oak that added structure and tannin. The mixture of oak also added vanilla and baking spice elements that really rounded out the wine. This wine is absolutely mouth coating, with a chewy quality that sticks to the teeth and gums. Right off there are powerful tannins, but they are silky and compliment the extremely extracted fruit. The old vines really produce great complexity and concentration.

Notice the nice packaging of this bottle. It has very heavy, thick glass, and the label seems to be made of a fabric, like expensive wallpaper. After finishing this bottle I noticed I didn’t have a ton of tasting notes. Sip after sip, I was only focused on how great this wine is. The Mas Doris Barrica gets 5 out of 5 arrows from me, and is probably the best wine I have reviewed for this blog at any price range.


Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment