Wednesday, March 9, 2011

2007 Michel Pichard Sancerre

Being a huge fan of French wines I had to try a Sancerre for the blog. Sancerre is Sauvignon Blanc from the Loire region of France. It stands out from other Sauvignon Blanc with it's bright acidity and minerality.   It is completely compared to the New Zealand stuff that is popular now. It is also a bit of a luxury wine. This offering was $19.99, which is cheap for Sancerre. The wine offered slate and minerals, some grapefruit and loads of lemon zest. I also detected a hint of honeysuckle. It's color was pale straw and the nose made my mouth water immediately. I found the wine to be bright and tasty, a lovely compliment to cured salmon gravlax (if anyone is interested in the recipe let me know) I had made. The wine possessed a long finish while cleansing the palate with its bright acidity. So, this wine was worth the money for anyone attempting to try a new wine, but not a standout. Don't pay more than $25 for this one. In fact, I have seen better bottles for $25. Nevertheless, I still maintain that the French make the best white wines in the world. Do you disagree? Send the the name of a better Sauvignon Blanc in the same price range or less, and I will review it and wax poetically and it.

Cheers,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment