Thursday, February 10, 2011

Aussie Aussie Aussie

Oy oy oy. Australian wines are known for a few things: They’re cheap, they’re fruit forward, and they are big. This makes it a perfect place for “The Hood” to research. To be fair, it is hard to call sitting around drinking wine research, it’s more pleasure than anything. I enjoy the whole experience of this blog. I love wandering the wine store with no idea what I want. There is always that “ah ha” moment when you find the right (hopefully) one. I saw this sitting on display at a local wine store with a RP score of 90, and purchased it. I then went and ran a bunch of errands, and basically forgot about it until about 9pm when I was really in the mood for a glass (or 2) of wine. Realizing that I had a Robin Hood wine to try, I leapt into action. I grab the bottle and my wine key, only to discover a twist top (stelvin enclosure). I thought "how convenient", and my girlfriend and I immediately popped it open. 


2007 Luchador Shiraz from R wines

Right away it was a fruit bomb, showing bright notes of raspberry and cherries with eucalyptus and pepper. Some hints of oak, but not a ton, probably was aged in used American oak. The Aussies are huge fans of the American oak as it gives enough flavor to stand up to the bold wines they produce. This wine was bold for sure, with all the power and fruit one would expect from those crazy Aussies. Alcohol was off the charts at 14.5%, but was well integrated. It had a definite viscosity to it, an almost chewy texture that stuck to the teeth and gums. I did notice a brightness that gives it a great drinkability. Not a terribly complex offering, but very good. Complexity is that certain something that separates good from great wines.  So I tell my girlfriend "I like this particular wine, but am not overly impressed." I follow that with the question, “What was this, like $15”. “No babe, it was $10 bucks”, “OH” So, for $10 this is a heck of a deal. For $15, which is what I saw as the average price online, it’s average to above average.  Great fruit and power, not much finesse or complexity. A good example of an inexpensive Aussie Shiraz, this wine is like a Aussie rules footballer. It has the brawn to turn your head, but not enough depth to keep your interest. At what I paid, $10, I would give it 4 out of 5 arrows and definitely recommend picking it up.

Cheers,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment