Saturday, February 5, 2011

wine-ing with a little help from my friends

After the pirate invasion of Tampa Bay this last weekend a friend of the blog came over. He offered to blind taste a few friends on some steals he had come across. I don't have the exact prices or the names right this second. Truth is, we were already pretty snockered from the day's festivities. I am going to post this and then come back and do some editing as I pull all the details of the evening together. So here is what I remember.

1st wine I was way off on. It had a slight brick to the color an indicator of old world, but no rim variation another indicator of age and old r new world. I first thought french based on some color and earth. Then I decided it was South American, it had that kinda bell peppery thing going. I finally decided it was from Washington state and was a Syrah blend, probably a GSM. Then I thought, I am way to drunk to do this and I have no idea. I get a wonderful complexity with solid tannic structure and great finish. Turns out to be a carignan blend from Southern France costing about $10. We all agreed it was fantastic

2nd wine was bright colored dark ruby. Notes of min, eucalyptus and licorice. It had earth and was very mouth coating dry. I thought Italian, and again, I was wrong. This turned out to be the Foppiano Petite Sirah from Russian River Valley. Very solid wine, but I can't remember the price. I am pretty sure it is under $15.

On a day I had drunk way too much I was introduced to a couple of "steals". I will have these posts updated as soon as I can, I am just trying to write all I can remember of the evening. My notes are sparse and barely legible. Nonetheless, much thanks and respect to one of the great wine minds in my circle of friends. We call him "the spook" for his propensity to disappear at any time from any place. Thanks to him and all my readers and supporters. I appreciate the suggestions comments and ideas.

Cheers,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment