Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fun food pairing for the 2009 Domaine Mas Du Bouquet



It has occurred to me that food parings and recipes would be a nice addition to my content. This poses a bit of a challenge for me as I consider myself a “foodie” and know my way around a kitchen pretty well, but my diet lately is all lean protein and low carbs. I gotta say it is totally boring to eat chicken breast and eggs every day all day, but I really have been noticing the difference this diet and nutrition have made on my body. I am beginning to realize that perhaps Brad Pitt abs are not in my future, a shame but not tragic. In these recipe/food posts I will try my best to offer healthy options that pair well with the wines I review. So with no further ado, here it is, Chicken with mushrooms and artichokes.

To pair with: Domaine Mas Du Bouquet 2009

Needed: 1 large skillet
2 or 3 chicken breasts
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs butter
1 can artichoke hearts quartered (do not drain)
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup white wine
1 tbs capers
1 lemon
Broccoli Rabe or another bitter green vegetable

Keep in mind these measurements are mostly guesses, I never measure anything in the kitchen.
OK, take the chicken breast and “paillard” it. That means wrap that sucker in plastic and beat the crap out of it until it is flat and has an even thickness all the way around. That is going to make the chicken cook quicker and easier. Once done, season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Melt the butter with the oil in your skillet on med-high heat; once hot, add the chicken.  Slightly brown the bird, then remove it from the pan. Add the broccoli rabe, mushrooms, and artichokes (not the liquid yet) and cook until tender. Return the chicken to the skillet with the wine and some of the artichoke liquid. Reduce heat to low and cook until the chicken is done and the juices run clear. Add the capers, a squeeze of half a lemon, and, (if you want), a grate or two of lemon zest. Serve immediately.

There it is a healthy meal that is delicious. French food is known for being either refined and elegant , or rustic and hearty. I love the rustic style of this dish, and can picture a farmer in Lyon eating this with a fresh baguette. I hope you all enjoy. 

Cheers,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment